Thursday, August 4, 2016

Thoughts of a preemie mom

Being a first-time mom can bring on many different emotions; will I be able to calm him when he cries or will I be be able to give him everything he needs? In my case,  my biggest question was when will I be able to take him home?
 At 33 weeks pregnant, I had a cesarean section and baby Oliver Wayne was brought into the world 7 weeks early. I had developed severe pre eclampsia which caused an excruciating headache and extreme high blood pressure. Just a week before, I thought my pregnancy was going good. I had passed the glucose test and gone to every appointment. I had thought to myself, just two more months and how crazy it was that my due date was so close. But little did I know that one week later I would be in the hospital, being told by my doctor "looks like you're done being pregnant." Those were the scariest words I had ever heard.
What helped me get through the stress and fear was my family, friends but most importantly, my son's father. During my c- section, he was my biggest support, reassuring me that everything was going to be okay and more importantly, our son was going to be okay. The moment we heard our baby's cry we knew our lives would be changed forever. I felt like my life had a purpose and my heart had never felt such love for something ever before.
 Due to Oliver being 7 weeks premature, he had to immediately go to the NICU, where he spent the first 25 days of his life. Being he was only born at a birth weight of 3 lbs 4 oz, he definitely would have to gain weight before he could go home. Those 25 days were hard on us. I would go to the hospital for a few hours a day to feed him, change him and hold him. The day I left the hospital I didn't get to leave like most moms did with their child instead, I got to go home everyday and then return home without him.
            
  The one thing I will never be able to repay is the staff in the NICU. They took care of Oliver & taught be so much about what it meant to take care of him and to nurture him. The day he came home, I was confident because of what the nurses taught me. The NICU will always have a special place in my heart. Without them, Oliver wouldn't be home healthy with us.

Thank you for reading!
Brooke :)




No comments:

Post a Comment